Hello, my name is Chris Ralston.
I’m a nurse and a recent breast cancer survivor. I strongly believe that nutritious food is a big part of prevention and the healing process. During chemotherapy, watermelon was one of the few foods that appealed to me. It was refreshing, sweet, and helped me keep my strength up.
You might wonder how I got involved with MelonUp!® Pink Ribbon Watermelon. My husband works for Robinson Fresh®, and the MelonUp! Pink Ribbon Watermelon team heard about our plight to fight and win this battle. So when the MelonUp! Pink Ribbon Watermelon program asked me to share my experience with others, I agreed right away.
I like the mission—a collaboration between Robinson Fresh and retailers throughout the United States and Canada to promote the health benefits of watermelon and support breast cancer research and prevention.
Together, we can win!
Want to know more about breast cancer research and prevention?
- drsusanloveresearchfoundation.org – The Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation works to eradicate breast cancer and improve the quality of women’s health through innovative research, education, and advocacy.
- cancer.gov – This site offers consumer-oriented information on a wide range of topics as well as comprehensive descriptions of research programs and clinical trials.
- cancer.org – Get help making treatment decisions, understanding the effects of treatment, finding treatment centers and doctors, coping with side effects, and talking with others. Meet other survivors, find or offer support on the Cancer Survivors Network. Find lodging, workshops, transportation, and other services and products for cancer patients, survivors, and loved ones.
- nccn.com – The goal of this site is to educate and prepare cancer patients to engage in more informed conversations with health care providers so they can live longer and better quality lives.
- adjuvantonline.com – The purpose of Adjuvant! is to help health professionals and patients with early cancer discuss the risks and benefits of getting additional therapy (adjuvant therapy: usually chemotherapy, hormone therapy, or both) after surgery.
- breastcancer.org – This site was developed to provide comprehensive, medically reviewed information and a vibrant peer-support community to those affected by breast cancer.
- Dr. Susan Love’s Breast Book by Susan Love. A great resource to understand everything about breast health, disease, treatment options and resources.
- Her-2 by Robert Bazell. An interesting book about the revolutionary new drug to treat breast cancer in her-2/neu positive cancers.
- How to Prevent and Treat Cancer with Natural Medicine by Dr. Michael Murray. A great resource about the effects of medications, diet and natural remedies to treat all forms of cancer.
- Grace for Each Hour by Mary J. Nelson. A spiritual guide to help women undergoing cancer treatment.
- Crazy, Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr. A funny, inspiring book that looks at making the best of difficult situations and gives lots of resources for people with cancer.
- Institute for Health and Healing, Abbott Northwestern Hospital
- Caring Bridge
- Look good, feel better seminars – American Cancer Society
- Breast cancer support groups – all major hospitals and oncology offices have one
Tell us what you love about our melons. Have you enjoyed MelonUp! melons with friends or family and want to share your story? We’d love to hear from you! Email us your story. If we share your comments on our site we’ll send you a coupon as a thank you.